In the Land of Grey and Pink is the third album by English progressive rock band Caravan, released in April 1971 on Deram Records. It was produced by David Hitchcock and was the last album to feature the original lineup of Richard Coughlan, Pye Hastings, Richard Sinclair and Dave Sinclair until 1982's Back to Front. The album was written and recorded during late 1970 and early 1971, and featured more material from Richard Sinclair.
All tracks recorded and mixed at AIR London Studios except: Track 2: overdubbing and remix at Decca Studios Track 3: remix at Decca Studios Track 5: recorded and mixed at Decca Studios Track 8 & 9: recorded at Decca Studios Tracks 6 to 10: mixed in Octorber 2000 at . Studio, Canterbury Tracks 6 to 9: previously unreleased Tracks 10: new.
Album Name In the Land of Grey and Pink. Labels Universal Music Group Island Records Deram Records. 3. Love to Love You (and Tonight Pigs Will Fly). 4. In the Land of Grey and Pink. 5. Nine Feet Undergroud.
Feelin', Reelin' Squealin'. Love Song Without Flute.
As a group effort, In the Land of Grey and Pink displays all the ethereal brilliance Caravan created on their previous pair of 12" outings. Read full description. See details and exclusions. See all 10 brand new listings.
Land of Grey & Pink Live. In The Land Of Grey And Pink - Caravan. Of all the great prog rock albums I have in my collection, Caravan's "In The Land Of Grey and Pink" has always been amongst my favs. i also love their debut album which really got me into the whole Canterbury art-rock scene. Originally released in 1971 marking their 3rd album and still stands up as one of the finer prog albums of the early 70's.
|A3||Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)||3:03|
|A4||In The Land Of Grey And Pink||4:59|
|Nine Feet Underground||(22:40)|
|B1a||Nigel Blows A Tune|
|B1b||Love's A Friend|
|B1c||Make It 76|
|B1d||Dance Of The Seven Paper Hankies|
|B1e||Hold Grandad By The Nose|
|B1f||Honest I Did!|
- Recorded At – Air Studios
- Mixed At – Air Studios
- Recorded At – Decca Studios
- Mixed At – Decca Studios
- Copyright (c) – The Decca Record Company Limited
- Published By – Burlington Music Corp.
- Published By – Aristocrat Music
- Pressed By – H.V. Waddell Co.
- Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals – Richard Sinclair
- Bells, Effects [Cannon, Wind] – David Grinsted*
- Composed By – Sinclair*, Hastings*, Coughlan*, Sinclair*
- Design, Art Direction – Joe McGillicuddy
- Drums, Percussion – Richard Coughlan
- Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals – Pye Hastings
- Engineer [Assistant @ Air London Studios] – Alan Harris (tracks: A1 to A4)
- Engineer [Assistant @ Decca Studios] – David Baker*
- Engineer [Overdubbing] – David Grinsted* (tracks: A2, B1a to B1h), Derek Varnals (tracks: B1a to B1h)
- Engineer [Re-mix @ Decca Studios] – Peter Rynston (tracks: A3)
- Engineer [Rhythm Track, Re-mix] – David Grinsted* (tracks: A2, B1a to B1h)
- Engineer, Recorded By [@ Air Studios] – John Punter (tracks: A1 to A4)
- Flute, Tenor Saxophone, Piccolo Flute – Jimmy Hastings
- Illustration [Cover] – Anne Marie Anderson
- Mixed By [@ Air Studios] – John Punter (tracks: A1, A4)
- Organ, Piano, Mellotron, Harmony Vocals – David Sinclair
- Producer – David Hitchcock
NotesRecorded and mixed at A.I.R. London and Decca Studios.
London Records Full Frequency Range Recording.
© 1971 The Decca Record Company Limited.
All songs published by Burlington Music Corporation.
Aristocrat Music is listed as a publisher as well in a separate place on the cover.
The time is listed after Nine Feet Underground on the cover and after 100% Proof on the labels.
This release is distinguishable from the US release Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink by the following:
1) On the top right of the front cover, underneath the London logo, the text "STEREO/PS 583" has a slash in it.
2) On the inside left of the cover can be found the text "LINER: PS 593".
3) The different text in the run-out areas.
On the labels:
4) The words "STEREO", "Side 1"/"Side 2" and "26" appear to the left of the spindle hole.
5) "(ZAL-10424-AS)"/"(ZAL-10424-BS)" appears under "PS 593" instead of "SIDE ONE"/"SIDE TWO" on the right of the spindle hole.
6) The track lengths are not in parentheses.
7) "All Songs published by BURLINGTON MUSIC CORPORATION ASAP" appears at 6 o'clock.
8) "Unauthorized Public Performance, Broadcasting and Copying of This Recording Prohibited" appears at the bottom.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A label): ZAL-10424-AS
- Matrix / Runout (Side B label): ZAL-10425-BS
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout): PS-593A 1-/-1 [Etched] ZAL 10424 [Stamped] -W [Etched out] PRCW [Etched]
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout): PS-593B 1-/-1 [Etched] ZAL 10425 [Stamped] -W [Etched out] PRCW [Etched]
- Rights Society: ASCAP
|SDL-R1, SDL R1||Caravan||In The Land Of Grey And Pink (LP, Album, Bro)||Deram, Deram||SDL-R1, SDL R1||UK||1971|
|UIGY-15036||Caravan||In The Land Of Grey And Pink (SACD, Album, RE, RM, SHM)||Deram||UIGY-15036||Japan||2016|
|820 520-2||Caravan||In The Land Of Grey And Pink (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Deram||820 520-2||UK & Europe||Unknown|
|45106, SDL R1||Caravan||In The Land Of Grey And Pink (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Decca, Deram||45106, SDL R1||Greece||1981|
|533420-0||Caravan||In The Land Of Grey And Pink (2xLP, Album, RE, TP, Pin)||Deram||533420-0||UK||2011|