SCALE, Herbert's latest, skips much of the jazz-inflections of his previous album BODILY FUNCTIONS in favor for a surprising sound: a combination of big band and disco.
Scale is a studio album by British electronic musician Herbert. It was released via Studio !K7 on May 29, 2006. According to the liner notes, 635 objects were used to create the album. These include traditional instruments, such as violins and guitars, as well as other objects, such as breakfast cereal, gas pumps and coffins.
Matthew Herbert is a classic British eccentric in a dance scene that valorizes sleek and vacuous cool. In another time you could imagine him walking a crustacean on a leash in a purple velour smoking jacket. You could not, however, imagine him alongside Richie Hawtin and Ricardo Villalobos on a beach in Ibiza. Much of Scale has a sumptuous jazz feel, but unlike Herbert's slightly stodgy and overly retro big band album from 2002, the music remembers that big band jazz moved the hips. And then there are the strings. Recorded live at Abbey Road Studios, the strings on Scale are the most sumptuous musical elements to ever appear on a Herbert record.
Herbert is more upset about the state of the planet than ever, especially when it comes to the actions and inactions of Bush and Blair, but he has also made it known that he aimed to make an enjoyable, richly musical album full of melodies and multi-part harmonies.
On 30 May 2006, Herbert issued Scale, his most successful album to date. In the US, it reached number 20 on Billboard's electronic music album chart. The second album Matthew Herbert Big Band, There's Me And There's You, was released in October 2008. In the making of the record Herbert recorded inside the Houses of Parliament, at a landfill site, and in the lobby of the British Museum with 70 volunteers. In 2009 Matthew Herbert was involved in the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest.
K7) UK release date: 29 May 2006. by Clair Whitefield published: 29 May 2006 in Albums. Matthew Herbert is surely electronic music’s most prolific and admired practitioner, not to mention a sampling wizard. With one eye keenly on the world around him and the other on the studio, he produces work which is flamboyant, daring and politicised. Listening to his latest album Scale is like taking a high speed train through a land where the scenery is always changing – it’s heady, captivating and you don’t want it to end.
Herbert - Scale Politics and electronic music didn’t used to be such strange bedfellows. Yet somewhere along the way these overt political statements largely disappeared, especially in the dance community, in favour of music produced purely for pleasure. And for those offended by Herbert's ideology, it's an album which can be easily enjoyed, simply, as a collection of satisfyingly clever pop songs.
In the creation of a Herbert album, the use of drum machines, other peoples’ music and keyboard presets (in unaltered form) are all strictly prohibited. Not allowing himself to rely on old electronica standbys means, inevitably, that one mustn’t expect traditional dance music on any of his records. And it couldn’t be farther from a typical dance album. As with any of his albums, Matthew Herbert gets extremely creative on Scale. Though he’s not sampling Coca-Cola or his. HerbertDoctor RockitMatthew Herbert Big Band. Scale is a studio album by British electronic musician Herbert. On 30 May 2006, Herbert issued Scale, his most successful album to date. Bodily Functions (album) Plat du Jour Scale (album) Studio !K7 There's Me and There's You. Secondhand Sounds. Scale peaked at number 24 on the UK Independent Albums Chart and number 20 on the Billboard Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart. Independent music Spizzenergi Where's Captain Kirk? Dirk Wears White Sox UK Singles Chart.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Something Isn't Right
Vocals – Dave Okumu, Neil Thomas
|2||The Movers And The Shakers
Vocals – Neil Thomas
|3||Moving Like A Train||5:52|
Clarinet [Bass Clarinet], Flute, Flugelhorn [Flugel] – Pete Wraight*
|5||We're In Love
Written By – M Herbert, P ParnellWritten-By – P Parnell*
|6||Birds Of A Feather||5:05|
Lyrics By – Richard Vine
Handclaps [Palmas] – Carmona, Diego Magallanes
Vocals – Matthew Herbert
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Accidental
- Copyright (c) – !K7 Records
- Published By – Soundslike Music
- Published By – Bucks Music Group
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – ООО "Союз Мьюзик"
- Licensed From – !K7 Records GmbH
- Copyright (c) – EMI Music Publishing Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – S.B.A. Music Publishing Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – ООО "Юниверсал Мьюзик Паблишинг"
- Copyright (c) – ООО "Ворнер/Чаппел"
- Copyright (c) – Первое Музыкальное Издательство
- Copyright (c) – Sony / ATV Music Publishing
- Distributed By – Rough Trade – RTD.387.0202.1 
- Manufactured By – ООО "Си Ди Клуб"
- Recorded At – Abbey Road Studios
- Recorded At – Country Witness
- Mixed At – Country Witness
- Mastered At – Country Witness
- Arranged By – Pete Wraight*
- Artwork, Film Director, Photography By – James Price Herbert*, Lenka Clayton
- Backing Vocals [Additional] – Neil Thomas
- Copyist – Corrina Richardson, Rebecca Gibson
- Drums – Leo Taylor
- Engineer – Chris Bolster
- Engineer [Assistant Engineer], Noises [Field Recordings By] – Alexis Smith
- Engineer [Assisted By] – Ian Stickland, Mirek Styles*
- Guitar – Dave Okumu
- Liner Notes [OBI Strip] – Alex Davie
- Mastered By – Mandy 'On The Move' Parnell*
- Noises [Tornado Jet Recording By] – Ambrose Field
- Other [Herbert Font Designed By] – Sarah Hopper
- Other [Orchestral Contractor] – Russell Swift
- Piano – Phil Parnell
- Producer – Matthew 'Never Enough Time' Herbert*
- Vocals – Dani Siciliano (tracks: 1 to 10)
- Written-By [Contributions] – Dani Siciliano
- Written-By, Lyrics By – Matthew Herbert
NotesOrchestra recorded at Abbey Road 05. All other studio recordings, mixing and mastering done at Country Witness. Almost written according to the rules of PCCOM.
(P) 2008 ООО "Союз Мьюзик" по лицензии K7 Records GmbH.
℗ 2006 Accidental
© 2006 !K7 Records
RTD.386.0202.2  / PS 380
All tracks published by Soundslike Music/Bucks Music Group Ltd under exclusive license from Accidental Records to !K7.
For sale in Russia and CIS countries only.
Packaged in a Digipak.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 4 601250 357560
- Barcode (String): 4601250357560
- Other: PS 380
|!K7202CD||Herbert*||Scale (CD, Album, Dig)||Studio !K7, Accidental||!K7202CD||Germany||2006|
|!K7202CD||Herbert*||Scale (CD, Album, Promo)||Studio !K7||!K7202CD||Germany||2006|
|!K7202LP||Herbert*||Scale (2xLP, Album)||Studio !K7||!K7202LP||Germany||2006|
|!K7202CDJ, HSE-40039||Herbert*||Scale (2xCD, Album)||Studio !K7, Hostess Entertainment Unlimited||!K7202CDJ, HSE-40039||Japan||2006|