Album · 1976 · 14 Songs. Listen on Apple Music.
Manufactured by Columbia House under license. Other Versions (5 of 35) View All. Cat.
Harry's best live album and robably best overall too. A great concert and well recorded. Such a shame he died so young. To sum up a Superb Album but be prepared to be moved.
Certain elements had to be re-recorded in the studio due to technical problems with the live recordings. The original LP release featured three new studio tracks, two of which ("She Is Always Seventeen" and "Love Is Just Another Word") were omitted from the CD release. A Better Place to Be" was released as a single, and did manage to crack the Billboard Hot 100 chart
Greatest Stories Live 】. Album songs： . reams Go By. . ove Is Just Another Word. he Is Always Seventeen. 0,000 Pounds Of Bananas.
Greatest Stories Live.
New Greatest Stories Live.
His follow-up album, Sniper and Other Love Songs, was less successful; but his third, Short Stories, was a major success. Verities & Balderdash, released soon after, was even more successful, bolstered by the chart-topping hit single "Cat's in the Cradle".
|A1||Dreams Go By||4:43|
|A4||I Wanna Learn A Love Song||4:52|
|B2||A Better Place To Be||9:17|
|B3||Let Time Go Lightly||4:34|
|C1||Cats In The Cradle||3:51|
|D1||30,000 Pounds Of Bananas||10:45|
|D2||She Is Always Seventeen||4:19|
|D3||Love Is Just Another Word||4:37|
|D4||The Shortest Story||2:27|
- Recorded At – San Diego Civic Auditorium
- Recorded At – Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
- Recorded At – Berkeley Community Theatre
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
- Copyright (c) – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Acoustic Guitar – Harry Chapin (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Acoustic Guitar, Guitar [Electric], Banjo, Backing Vocals – Tom Chapin
- Arranged By, Producer [Studio Material], Piano, Clavinet – Paul Leka (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Backing Vocals – Betse Wager (tracks: D2 to D4), Christine Faith* (tracks: D2 to D4), Dave Kondziela (tracks: D2 to D4), Frank Simms (tracks: D2 to D4), George Simms (tracks: D2 to D4), John Wallace (tracks: D2 to D4), Kathy Ramos (tracks: D2 to D4), Mary Mundy (tracks: D2 to D4), Sue White (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Bass – Don Payne (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Bass, Backing Vocals – John Wallace
- Cello – Mike Masters*
- Congas, Chimes, Castanets – Bob Springer (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Drums – Alan Schwartzberg* (tracks: D2 to D4), Howie Fields
- Electric Guitar – John Tropea (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Electric Guitar [Lead], Backing Vocals – Doug Walker
- Engineer [Assistance] – Terry Dunavan, Tony Beecher
- Engineer [Live Recording] – Ken Caillat
- Engineer [Mixing, Elektra Sound Recorders] – Bruce Morgan
- Engineer [Mixing, Phase I Recordings Studio] – John Stewart*
- Engineer [Special Engineering] – Kevin Harron
- Handclaps – Bob Smith (tracks: D2 to D4), Bob Springer (tracks: D2 to D4), Cheryl Ferrio (tracks: D2 to D4), Jimmy Keyes (tracks: D2 to D4), Ken Smith (tracks: D2 to D4), Paul Gabriel (tracks: D2 to D4), Ron Bacchiocchi (tracks: D2 to D4), Scott Spray (tracks: D2 to D4), Tom Smith (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi
- Mixed By [Concert Mixes], Other [Road Management] – Mike Solomon
- Mixed By [Mixes Of Live Cuts Supervised By] – Mickey Erbe*
- Other [Lighting Design And Road Management] – Jeff Gross
- Piano – Tim Moore (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Piano, Synthesizer – Stephen Chapin (tracks: D2 to D4)
- Piano, Synthesizer [String Synthesizer], Backing Vocals – Stephen Chapin
- Producer – Fred Kewley, Stephen Chapin
- Recorded By [Live] – Wally Heider
- Synthesizer, Clavinet – Ron Bacchiocchi (tracks: D2 to D4)
NotesSides are organized for use with an auto-changing player.
Disc 1: Sides A and D
Disc 2: Sides B and C
Promo stamp on back cover.
"Radio Station Copy" printed on all 4 labels
Live material recorded:
Nov. 7, 1975: San Diego Civic Auditorium, San Diego, California.
Nov. 8, 1975: Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California.
Nov. 9, 1975: Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California.
Remixed at Phase I Recording Studio, Toronto, Canada.
Studio material (B2, B3 and B4) recorded summer 1975.
℗&© 1976 Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
962 North la Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90069
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A): 7E 2009-A-CSM SXT CTH (stamped) STERLING
- Matrix / Runout (Side B): 7E-2009-B-CSM SXT CTH (stamped) STERLING
- Matrix / Runout (Side C): 7E-2009-C-CSM SXT CTH (stamped) STERLING
- Matrix / Runout (Side D): 7E-2009-D-CSM CTH (stamped) STERLING
|7E-2009||Harry Chapin||Greatest Stories - Live (2xLP, Album, Club)||Elektra||7E-2009||US||1976|
|CEKJ-2009||Harry Chapin||Greatest • Stories • Live (Cass, Album, RE, C, )||Elektra||CEKJ-2009||Canada||Unknown|
|6003-2||Harry Chapin||Greatest Stories - Live (CD, Album, RE)||Elektra||6003-2||US||Unknown|
|7E-2009||Harry Chapin||Greatest Stories - Live (2xLP, Album)||Elektra||7E-2009||Canada||1976|
|C2-6003||Harry Chapin||Greatest Stories - Live (Cass, Album, Club)||Elektra||C2-6003||US||1976|