Artist: Candi Staton. Album: I'm Just a Prisoner, 1969. Before there was disco or gospel or Clarence, Ms. Staton recorded at Fame with Rick Hall, the Muscle Shoals Brass, and Jimmie Haskell.
Canzetta Maria "Candi" Staton (/ˈsteɪtən/, STAY-tən) (born March 13, 1940) is an American singer–songwriter, best known in the United States for her 1970 remake of Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" and her 1976 disco chart-topper "Young Hearts Run Free". In Europe, Staton's biggest selling record is the anthemic "You Got the Love" from 1986, released in collaboration with the Source. Staton was inducted into the Christian Music Hall of Fame. Staton is a four-time Grammy Award nominee.
For far too long, mega-talent soul singer Candi Staton had been lacking a comprehensive collection of her prime Southern R&B material from her glory years, 1969-1973. While it's true that Staton's chart success continued in the disco era with "Young Hearts Run Free," from 1975, that music is in a different universe from her Muscle Shoals period, when she recorded for Fame and other labels.
Four time Grammy Award nominated First Lady of Southern Soul. 4x Grammy Award nominated Soul music Artist. CommunitySee all. 47,301 people like this. 44,084 people follow this.
The sound quality is really good on this release and the candi staton "Chance" album both released by wounded bird, rhino and warner bros records. I Am glad someone knows what there doing these days.
Candi Staton (born Canzetta Maria Staton on 13 March 1940, in Hanceville, Alabama, USA) is an American gospel singer. She is best known for her disco hit Young Hearts Run Free and dance hit You Got The Love. Staton sang with the Jewell Gospel Trio and as teenagers, they toured the traditional gospel circuit in the 1950s with The Soul Stirrers, C. L. Franklin, and Mahalia Jackson.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A||Never In Public
Written-By – Aaron McKinny*, George Jackson
|B||You Don't Love Me No More
Written-By – Candi Staton, Clarence Carter
- Published By – Fame Publishing Co., Inc.
- Recorded At – Fame Recording Studios
- Mastered At – Capitol Studios
- Pressed By – Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Scranton
- Producer – Rick Hall
NotesScranton pressing variation, with label typesetting supplied by Keystone Printed Specialties Co., Inc., with differences from Los Angeles variant including:
- Music publisher divided into two lines rather than three
- Rights society and running time in slightly larger type size
- Space between opening parentheses ( and 45- prefix, suggesting this was to have been originally released in stereo before switching to mono
- Right side text aligned justified center, as opposed to contoured according to center hole
- Song titles set in 10 point Futura Demi Bold, and artist name set in 10 point Futura Medium
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society: BMI
- Matrix / Runout (A side deadwax - scribed): 45-72135-B3 # 2
- Matrix / Runout (B side deadwax - scribed): 45-72931-A2 # 2
- Other (Stamped onto deadwax on both sides): IAM [in a triangle]
|2C 006-80.172||Candi Staton||Never In Public / You Don't Love Me No More (7", Single)||Capitol Records||2C 006-80.172||France||1969|
|5C 006-80172 M||Candi Staton||Never In Public (7")||Capitol Records||5C 006-80172 M||Netherlands||1969|
|1459||Candi Staton||Never In Public (7")||Fame||1459||US||1969|