Steve Reich - Proverb - City Life download mp3 album
City Life is a minimalist composition by Steve Reich written in 1995. It is scored for 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 vibraphones, unpitched percussion, 2 samplers, 2 pianos, string quartet, and double bass. All instruments except the unpitched percussion are to be amplified. Its duration is 24 minutes
Album · 1996 · 7 Songs. City Life: V. Heavy Smoke. Bradley Lubman & Steve Reich Ensemble.
Proverb - City Life (7xFile, FLAC, Album, RE). Nonesuch, Rhino Records (2). none. Proverb - City Life (CD, Album). Steve Reich - Proverb 14:11.
This recording brings together three disparate styles on one record showcasing Reich's compositional work. Opening with "Proverb," a piece for voices and a mixed ensemble, the disc begins on a somber note. The complete text of the piece is the following line from Ludwig Wittgenstein: "How small a thought it takes to fill a whole life!" This line is sung very, very slowly, note by note with style and chord structure hearkening back to medieval harmonization. Electric organs double the singers.
City Life, Proverb Tracklist.
The three pieces on the album are performed by the Theater of Voices and members of the Steve Reich Ensemble with Paul Hillier conducting (on Proverb), marimba virtuosos Bob Becker and James Preiss (on Nagoya Marimbas) and finally, the entire Steve Reich Ensemble with Bradley Lubman conducting (on City Life). The performances on this album are thrilling and the marimba piece in particular requires a great deal of skill to play. In addition to the traditional instrumentation, I also appreciate the use of "found sounds". Proverb (14:01) features three female sopranos and two male tenors along with vibraphones and two electric organs.
City Life - Pile Driver, Alarms (Movement 2) - The Steve Reich Ensemble, Brad Lubman. 5. City Life: III. "It's Been A Honeymoon - Can't Take No Mo" - The Steve Reich Ensemble, Brad Lubman. 6. City Life - Heartbeats, Boats & Buoys (Movement 4) - The Steve Reich Ensemble, Brad Lubman. 7. City Life - Heavy Smoke (Movement 5) - The Steve Reich Ensemble, Brad Lubman. Colin Currie & Steve Reich Live at Fondation Louis Vuitton. Reich: Sextet & Double Sextet. Steve Reich: Drumming.
Proverb - City Life (1996). Album by Steve Reich.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Conductor – Paul HillierOrgan [Electric] – Edmund Niemann, Nurit TillesPerformer – Theatre Of VoicesSoprano Vocals – Allison Zelles, Andrea Fullington, Sonja RasmussenTenor Vocals – Alan Bennett , Paul ElliottVibraphone – Bob Becker, Russell Hartenberger*
Marimba – Bob Becker, James Preiss
|3||Check It Out||5:51|
|4||Pile Drive - Alarms||3:53|
|5||It's Been A Honeymoon - Can't Take No Mo||4:46|
|6||Heartbeats - Boats And Buoys||3:58|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Nonesuch Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – WEA International Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Nonesuch Records
- Copyright (c) – WEA International Inc.
- Manufactured By – WEA Manufacturing Inc.
- Cello – Jeanne Leblanc (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Clarinet – Leslie Scott (tracks: 3 to 7), Mike Lowenstern* (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Composed By – Steve Reich
- Conductor – Bradley Lubman*
- Double Bass – Jay Elfenbein (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Flute – David Fedele (tracks: 3 to 7), Gen Shin Kai (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Oboe – Jackie Leclair* (tracks: 3 to 7), Matthew Sullivan (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Percussion – Garry Kvistad (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Performer – Steve Reich Ensemble*
- Piano – Edmund Niemann (tracks: 3 to 7), Lisa Moore (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Sampler – Nurit Tilles (tracks: 3 to 7), Philip Bush (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Vibraphone – Bob Becker (tracks: 3 to 7), Russell Hartenberger* (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Viola – Lois Martin (tracks: 3 to 7)
- Violin – Elizabeth Lim (tracks: 3 to 7), Todd Reynolds (tracks: 3 to 7)
commissioned by the Conservatory in Nagoya, Japan, to mark the opening of their new Shirakawa Hall
Recorded June 1996 in New York City.
Comes in card slipcase
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 7559-79430-2 3
- Barcode (Scanned): 075597943023
|79430-2||Steve Reich||Proverb | Nagoya Marimbas | City Life (CD, Album)||Nonesuch||79430-2||US||1996|
|7559-79430-2||Steve Reich||Proverb / Nagoya Marimbas / City Life (CD, Album)||Nonesuch||7559-79430-2||Germany||1996|
|79430-2||Steve Reich||Proverb | Nagoya Marimbas | City Life (CD, Album, Club)||Nonesuch||79430-2||US||1996|
|none||Steve Reich||Proverb - City Life (7xFile, FLAC, Album, RE)||Nonesuch, Rhino Records||none||Europe||Unknown|
|7559-79430-2||Steve Reich||Proverb | Nagoya Marimbas | City Life (CD, Album)||Nonesuch Records||7559-79430-2||Germany||1996|