The cardigan-cozy sound of the record effectively established Yo La Tengo as indie rock’s great romantics, and featured a couple of significant firsts for the trio.
Painful (Cass, Album, Promo, Dol). ★★★★ album covers by alohasuitup. Kater Murr, gregclow, SJH, Kjaune, mwashil, kuzine, baalofconfusion, Ptf1a, brianvy, n-f-r, ChampionJames, virtuosovinyl, michael c, Minttrebor.
Band Name Yo La Tengo. Data de lançamento 05 Outubro 1993. Estilo de MúsicaAlternativ Rock. Membros têm este álbum1. 1. Whole of the Law. 2. Big Day Coming 3. Heard You Looking.
Yo La Tengo's magnificent 6th album was out of print on vinyl from 2001 until 2011. Start to finish, "Painful" proves to be a completely satisfying record. It's missing something that makes me think of it as a masterpiece, but it's incredibly good.
Take Big Day Coming, the tune that ushers the album in and out. Guitarist Ira Kaplan and the band explore songcraft like the impressionists of the late 19th century, painting identical scenes at different times of the day to study the gentle interplay between shadows and changing light. Clocking in around 7 minutes, the opening version is a slow, beautiful progression built on a simple back-and-forth organ line (a staple of the album), evoking images of a sleeping city at dawn, and that feeling you get when you're the only one awake in the early hours. Peaceful, beautiful, intimidating.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Big Day Coming||7:04|
|2||From A Motel 6||4:08|
|7||A Worrying Thing||2:53|
|8||I Was The Fool Beside You For Too Long||5:04|
|9||The Whole Of The Law
Written-By – Perrett*
|10||Big Day Coming||4:14|
|11||I Heard You Looking||7:01|
- Distributed By – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Manufactured By – WEA Manufacturing
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Matador Records Inc
- Copyright (c) – Matador Records Inc
- Recorded At – Water Music Recorders
- Mixed At – Electric Lady Studios
- Mixed At – Skyline Studios
- Produced At – Snack Time
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Published By – Roshashauna Music
- Published By – Excellent Classical Songs
- Published By – Incomplete Music
- Pressed By – WEA Mfg. Olyphant – Y9444
- Engineer – Roger*
- Illustration [Drawing] – Chris Knox
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi
- Performer – Georgia Hubley, Ira Kaplan, James McNew
- Photography By [Polaroids] – Georgia*
- Producer – Fred Brockman, Roger Moutenot
- Producer [Pre-production] – Fred*
- Written-By – Hubley* (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 8, 11), Kaplan* (tracks: 1 to 4, 6 to 8, 10, 11), McNew* (tracks: 4, 8, 11)
Notes℗ © 1993 Matador Records Inc.
Distributed by Atlantic Recording Corporation.
Printed in USA. Made in the USA by WEA Mfg.
Recorded at Water Music.
Mixed at Electric Lady and Skyline.
Pre-production at Snack Time.
Mastered at Sterling.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 7567-92298-2 3
- Matrix / Runout: [wea mfg. OLYPHANT] Y9444 LN OLE 069-2 01 M1S1
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L903
- Mould SID Code: IFPI 2U3G
|OLE 069-2, 92298-2||Yo La Tengo||Painful (CD, Album)||Matador, Atlantic||OLE 069-2, 92298-2||US||1993|
|OLE 1063-2||Yo La Tengo||Extra Painful (CD, Album, RE + CD + Ltd)||Matador||OLE 1063-2||US||2014|
|APCY-8439||Yo La Tengo||Painful (CD, Album, Promo, RE)||Bandai Music, Matador||APCY-8439||Japan||1998|
|HN 1221 CD||Yo La Tengo||Extra Painful (CD, Album, RE + CD + Ltd)||High Note Records||HN 1221 CD||Taiwan||2014|
|OLE 069, 92298-4||Yo La Tengo||Painful (Cass, Album, Promo, Dol)||Matador, Atlantic||OLE 069, 92298-4||US||1993|