Danny O'Keefe (born 1943, Spokane, Washington, United States) is an American singer-songwriter. O'Keefe's musical career has spanned four decades from his early days playing in the Minnesota coffee houses to his present station in the Seattle area. He is still active both in the recording studio and on stage. In 1968 O'Keefe was a member of a four-man heavy psychedelic rock band named Calliope. The group recorded one album, Steamed, for Buddah Records before disbanding.
O'Keefe is an album by singer-songwriter Danny O'Keefe, released in 1972 (see 1972 in music). It peaked at on the Billboard Top LPs chart. The lead-off single was "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" (a re-recording of a song O'Keefe had first recorded for his self-titled debut album two years earlier), which reached on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and was covered by numerous artists. The Road" was covered by Jackson Browne on his album Running on Empty
While 1972's O'Keefe scored singer/songwriter Danny O'Keefe his biggest hit ever with "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues," - and continues to garner him royalty checks because of all the people who covered it (Elvis among them), the album is a classic in its own right. The single is the opening track, and it remains one of the greatest songs about desolation ever written. Produced by Arif Mardin in Memphis, it features sidemen like Buddy Emmons and Reggie Young, and also Eddie and David Brigati! Also here is "The Road," a track made infamous by Jackson.
Album · 1970 · 12 Songs. Danny O'Keefe Danny O'Keefe. Listen on Apple Music.
Danny O'Keefe's biggest hit, this song struck a cord with restless young people who were stuck living dreary lives in dead-end small towns while their friends were moving away to better things. Charlie" is a fictional character, but O'Keefe was managed by Charlie Greene, who also managed Buffalo Springfield and had the ear of Ahmet Ertegun at Atlantic Records. After hearing O'Keefe perform the song on a steel guitar, Ertegun signed him and produced his 1970 debut album, with included the first version of this song. Another song from the album, "Covered Wagon," was chosen as a single but stiffed. Good Time Charlie" was re-recorded for his second album, O'Keefe, which was released in 1972. This time, it was recorded at American Studios in Memphis with Arif Marden producing. This time, the song was released as a single and became a big hit.
Danny O'Keefe – O'Keefe. Label: Atlantic – P-8299A. Format: Vinyl, LP, Album. Lead Vocals, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar – Danny O'Keefe. Management – Ahmet Ertegun. Organ – Bobby Emmons. Percussion – Hayward Bishop. Piano – Bobby Wood, Shane Keister. Producer – Arif Mardin. Producer – Neal Rosengarden. Soloist – Danny O'Keefe (tracks: A2, A4-A6, B2-B6), Reggie Young (tracks: A1, A3, B1).
DANNY O'KEEFE - Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues 02:43. DANNY O'KEEFE - It's Been A Good Day 03:41. DANNY O'KEEFE - So Long Harry Truman 03:18. DANNY O'KEEFE - Quits 03:18. DANNY O'KEEFE - You Look Just Like A Girl Again 04:32. DANNY O'KEEFE - The Runaway 04:23. DANNY O'KEEFE - Islands 03:34. DANNY O'KEEFE - All My Friends 04:12. DANNY O'KEEFE - Just Jones 03:23. DANNY O'KEEFE - On The Wheel Of Love 02:39. DANNY O'KEEFE - Covered Wagon 02:46. DANNY O'KEEFE - Steel Guitar 04:07
|A2||3:10 Smokey Thursday||3:30|
|A4||A Country Song||3:32|
|A5||Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues||2:41|
|B3||Bottle Up And Go||2:22|
|B4||Come Dance With Me||4:48|
- Recorded At – United Recording Studios
- Recorded At – Muscle Shoals Sound Studios
- Published By – Burdette Music Co.
- Published By – Cotillion Music
- Published By – Sanga Music Inc.
- Pressed By – Specialty Records Corporation
- Arranged By [Vocals, Strings] – Arif Mardin (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3), Jimmy Haskell* (tracks: B2, B4 to B6)
- Bass – Chris Ethridge (tracks: B2, B4 to B6), David Hood (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3)
- Design – Eve Babitz
- Drums, Percussion – Rich Crooks* (tracks: B2, B4 to B6), Roger Hawkins (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3)
- Engineer [Muscle Shoals] – Martin Greene* (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3)
- Engineer [Remix] – Gene Paul, Jack Adams
- Engineer [United Recording] – Lennie Roberts* (tracks: B2, B4 to B6)
- Flute, Saxophone, Keyboards – Billy McPherson (tracks: B2, B4 to B6)
- Guitar – Doug Hastings (tracks: B2, B4 to B6), Eddie Hinton (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3), Jimmy Johnson (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3)
- Keyboards – Barry Beckett (tracks: A1 to A6, B1, B3), Bob Nixon (tracks: B2, B4 to B6)
- Photography [Front, Back] – Nancy Donald
- Photography [Inside] – Eve Babitz
- Producer – Ahmet Ertegun
- Producer [Assistant] – Jackson Howe
- Vocals, Guitar – Danny O'Keefe
- Written-By – Danny O'Keefe
Notes"Sample Copy, Not For Sale" on white labels.
Tracks B2, B4 to B6 were recorded at United Recording, Hollywood, California
Tracks A1 to A6, B1, B3 were recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Label Code (Side One): SD 9036 (ST-CTN-702037 SP)
- Label Code (Side Two): SD 9036 ((ST-CTN-702038 SP)
- Matrix / Runout (Side One): (etched) ST CTN 702037 SP-C AT WB
- Matrix / Runout (Side Two): (etched) ST CTN 702038 SP-B AT W
|SD 9036||Danny O'Keefe||Danny O'Keefe (LP, Album)||Cotillion||SD 9036||US||1970|
|SD 9036||Danny O'Keefe||Danny O'Keefe (LP, Album, Promo, MO)||Cotillion||SD 9036||US||1970|
|2466 001||Danny O'Keefe||Danny O'Keefe (LP, Album)||Atlantic||2466 001||UK||1971|
|SD 9036||Danny O'Keefe||Danny O'Keefe (LP, Album)||Cotillion||SD 9036||Canada||1970|
|CCM-283-2||Danny O'Keefe||Danny O'Keefe (CD, Album)||Collectors' Choice Music||CCM-283-2||US||2001|