Primal Scream is the eighth jazz album by Canadian trumpeter Maynard Ferguson on Columbia Records. Primal Scream marks the beginning of the second phase of Ferguson's career with Columbia, where his live big band sound is set aside in favor of lavish studio productions.
Maynard Ferguson – Primal Scream. Label: Columbia – PC 33953. Format: Vinyl, LP, Album. Written-By – Jay Chattaway, Maynard Ferguson.
An all-star cast assists Maynard Ferguson in this disco-tinged big-band outing. Ferguson's trademark trumpet playing is featured in all its screaming glory, and Mark Colby contributes a couple of high-energy sax solos. Primal Scream" and "Invitation" sound as though they were lifted right off the mid-'70s disco dancefloor, complete with . type strings and pulsing rhythms. Pagliacci," too, has the disco beat pounding underneath a Jay Chattaway adaptation of an operatic melody, with Bobby Militello featured on an energetic, overblown flute solo.
Maynard Ferguson - Primal Scream. Download MP3. Maynard Ferguson.
Exclusive Prime pricing. This some really, really nice music. I purchased this because I wanted digital versions. Maynard Ferguson, in my humble opinion was a musical angel sent to earth to help soothe our turbulent lives. For me, his music is timeless. Not everyone thought the music here was all that great, but I guess I'm biased.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Written-By – Jay Chattaway, Maynard Ferguson
|A2||The Cheshire Cat Walk
Electric Piano, Synthesizer [Mini Moog] – Chick CoreaWritten-By – Chick Corea
Written-By – Bronis Lau Kaper*
Arranged By, Adapted By – Jay ChattawayComposed By – Leoncavallo*
Written-By – Eric Gate
- Bass – Gary King
- Bass Trombone – David Taylor, Paul Faulise
- Cello – Alan Shulman, Charles McCracken
- Drums – Steve Gadd
- Engineer [Additional] – Gerry Block
- Flute, Baritone Saxophone – Bobby Militello
- French Horn – Brooks Tillotson, Earl Chapin
- Guitar – Eric Gale, Jeff Mirenov*, Jerry Friedman
- Mastered By [Mastering Engineer] – Jack Ashkinazy
- Percussion – Ralph MacDonald
- Piano, Synthesizer [Arp], Clavinet – Bob James
- Producer – Bob James
- Recorded By, Mixed By – Joe Jorgensen
- Saxophone [Alto] – Dave Sanborn*
- Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Mark Colby
- Tenor Saxophone – Joe Farrell
- Trombone – Tony Studd
- Trumpet – Marvin Stamm
- Trumpet [All Solos] – Maynard Ferguson
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Bernie Glow, Jon Faddis, Stan Mark
- Viola – Emanuel Vardi, Theodore Israel
- Violin – Charles Libove, David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Frederick Buldivini*, Harry Cykman, Joseph Malin*, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman
- Vocals – Hilda Harris, Lani Groves, Patti Austin
NotesCanadian release, same catalogue #.
|PC 33953||Maynard Ferguson||Primal Scream (LP, Album)||Columbia||PC 33953||US||1976|
|SICJ 262||Maynard Ferguson||Primal Scream (CD, Album, Ltd, RE)||Sony Records Int'l||SICJ 262||Japan||2017|
|PC 33953||Maynard Ferguson||Primal Scream (LP, Album, RP)||Columbia||PC 33953||US||Unknown|
|25AP-8||Maynard Ferguson||Primal Scream (LP, Album)||CBS/Sony||25AP-8||Japan||1976|
|PCT 33953||Maynard Ferguson||Primal Scream (Cass)||Columbia||PCT 33953||US||1976|