Velvet Hammer is one of the saddest, most heartbreaking records you will ever hear. It's soaked in tears and alcohol, punctuated with bruises and frostbitten fingers. Whether the songs of fractured relationships within are of romantic or familial nature, they sting with equally biting resonance.
For the 2001 album, see Scrawl (album). They recorded their next album, Velvet Hammer, in 1993. It was engineered by Steve Albini (around the time he produced Nirvana), and released on the Simple Machines label Marcy Mays appeared as lead singer on "My Curse" from the album Gentlemen by the Afghan Whigs. The Whigs also recorded a cover of "Ready" from Scrawl's He's Drunk with Mays sharing vocals with Greg Duli
By: Scrawl (1993, Rock). More albums from Scrawl: Nature Film by Scrawl. Travel On, Rider by Scrawl. Plus, Also, Too by Scrawl. View all albums . About.
Glass Mastered At – PDO, UK – 10259001.
Velvet Hammer is one of the saddest, most heartbreaking records you will ever hear. In "Take a Swing," she confronts an angered lover: "If you get me started, there's no telling what I'll d. She's stuck in an un-trusting rut in "Prize": "I get flowers/ I get suspicious, to. Throughout Velvet Hammer, the protagonist is at the end of her rope, struggling to find peace of mind amidst inner and outer turmoil. Though still sounding ragged and a little out of place in the studio, Steve Albini's raw engineering style is tailor-made for the band, especially for this stark material.
Scrawl, or as I like to refer to them, 'The Most Overlooked Band of the 1990s', were an all-female trio from Ohio that pre-empted the riot grrl movement by several years, releasing their debut Plus, Also, Too in 1987.
Velvet Hammer (1993). Travel On, Rider (1996)Travel On, Rider1996. 1. "Your Mother Wants To Know" (Marcy Mays).
|1||Your Mother Wants To Know||3:21|
|2||Take A Swing||3:55|
|3||Disappear Without A Trace||6:11|
|6||Tell Me Now, Boy||3:08|
|9||Blue Green Sea||2:51|
|10||Remember That Day||4:00|
- Manufactured By – Southern Studios
- Distributed By – Southern Studios
- Distributed By – EFA – EFA 26-18820
- Made By – Mayking Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Cripes Music
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Scrawl
- Copyright (c) – Cripes Music
- Copyright (c) – Scrawl
- Glass Mastered At – PDO, UK – 10259001
- Bass, Vocals – Sue Harshe
- Cover [Front] – Marcy Mays
- Drums – Dana Marshall
- Guitar, Vocals – Marcy Mays
- Layout – Kristin Thomson
- Lyrics By – Mays* (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 10), Harshe* (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 8)
- Music By – Mays* (tracks: 1, 3, 6, 9), Scrawl (tracks: 2, 5, 7, 8, 10), Harshe* (tracks: 4)
- Photography By – Chas Krider
- Photography By [Back Photo] – Scrawl
- Recorded By [Uncredited] – Steve Albini
NotesRecorded and mixed in Chicago, IL 1993.
Manufactured & distributed by Southern Studios.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 718751882027
- Matrix / Runout: MAYKING RECORDS SMR20CD 10259001 01 %
- Label Code: LC 7861
|SMR 020||Scrawl||Velvet Hammer (LP, Album)||Simple Machines||SMR 020||US||1993|
|smr 20 v||Scrawl||Velvet Hammer (LP, Album)||Simple Machines||smr 20 v||UK||1993|
|SMR 20 C||Scrawl||Velvet Hammer (Cass, Album)||Simple Machines||SMR 20 C||US||1993|