Absolute Zero is a broken album. Best Tracks:Absolute Zero,Fractals,Never in This House,Voyager One,Echolocation,White Noise Worst Track:Meds Genre:??? 7/10.
Bruce Hornsby could have spent his years gradually winding down from MOR superstardom. He could have kept making albums that sounded a bit like The Way It Is, the lambent, piano-driven song that was a worldwide hit in 1986. And by now he would probably be co-headlining tours called something like Everlasting 80s, perhaps alongside a lineup of Mr Mister featuring one original member. That’s a little mean-spirited, Hornsby says, laughing quietly. It is hugely possible, nevertheless, that you might regard news of Hornsby’s new album, Absolute Zero (which features long-term admirer Justin Vernon, of Bon Iver), with apathy at best and disdain at worst. I came to it by chance, seeking something easy to play in the background while I worked, and then had my socks knocked off by one of the most unexpectedly pleasurable records of the year, one of questing experimentalism married to a rich melodicism.
Absolute Zero Q&A. Featuring Blake Mills, Jack DeJohnette, Justin Vernon & 3 more. More Bruce Hornsby albums. The Essential Bruce Hornsby. Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby. Show all albums by Bruce Hornsby.
Album · 2019 · 10 Songs. Absolute Zero Bruce Hornsby. Listen on Apple Music.
Zappo Productions/Thirty Tigers. It’s hardly worth noting when a musician has a long and winding career, one built upon upsetting expectations, taking daring sidesteps and largely eschewing their popularity. Except, of course, if that musician is Bruce Hornsby. His latest, Absolute Zero, doesn’t wholly.
Bruce Hornsby's Absolute Zero is out April 12 on Thirty Tigers. Courtesy of the artist. Hornsby's new album is as melodic as his past oeuvre, most of which is from more traditional, singer-songwriter cloth, but it's also a fascinating and absorbing peek into the veteran musician's love of avant-garde classical, jazz and progressive rock. The song titles alone are hints that Hornsby is up to something
The great Bruce Hornsby will return with his star-studded studio album, Absolute Zero, on April 12th. The follow-up to 2016’s Rehab Reunion features a number of contributions from Justin Vernon, Sean Carey, Blake Mills, yMusic, and many more. Co-produced by Vernon, Tony Berg, and Brad Cook, the album was influenced by Hornsby’s work with 2018 Filmmaker of the Year Spike Lee, a partnership that began in 1992 and continued last year with the filmmaker’s Oscar nominated BlacKkKlansman.
Absolute Zero is a broken album. Absolute Zero is a broken album.
The legendary pianist has announced a round of Spring tour dates in support. Absolute Zero Tracklist: 01. Absolute Zero feat. Jack DeJohnette 02. Fractals 03. Cast Off feat. Justin Vernon and Sean Carey 04. Meds feat. Justin Vernon, Blake Mills, and Rob Moose 05. Never In This House feat. yMusic and The Staves 06. Voyager One feat. yMusic 07. Echolocation 08. The Blinding Light Of Dreams feat. yMusic 09. White Noise 10. Take You There (Misty) feat.
Bruce Hornsby’s Absolute Zero is the complete opposite of his 2016 album, Rehab Reunion. Bruce Hornsby’s Absolute Zero is the complete opposite of his 2016 album, Rehab Reunion. Absolute Zero makes a 180-degree pendulum swing from Hornsby’s 2016 album, Rehab Reunion. On that record, Hornsby set aside the piano for songs built around the dulcimer, with basic folky harmonies and arrangements. Absolute Zero, in contrast, doubles down on piano virtuosity and musical intricacies: odd meters, polytonality, bustling counterpoint. In the new songs, Hornsby addresses a complex, distressing world with complex music, offering not an escape but a cleareyed recognition of 21st-century pressures and longings.
|5||Never In This House|
|8||The Blinding Light Of Dreams|
|10||Take You There (Misty)|
- Backing Vocals – Camilla Staveley-Taylor (tracks: 5, 10), Emily Staveley-Taylor (tracks: 5, 10), Jessica Staveley-Taylor (tracks: 5, 10), Justin Vernon (tracks: 4), The Staves (tracks: 5, 10)
- Bass – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 4, 6), Chris Croce (tracks: 5, 8), J.V. Collier (tracks: 2, 4, 6, 10)
- Cello – Elizabeth Richards (tracks: 9), Gabriel Cabezas (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Clarinet – Hideaki Aomori (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Composed By – Bruce Hornsby
- Conductor [Orchestra] – Scott Flavin (tracks: 8, 10)
- Conductor [String Orchestra] – Peter Rotter (tracks: 1)
- Design – Chip Denatted
- Double Bass – Christopher White (tracks: 9)
- Drums – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 1), Chad Wright (tracks: 2, 4, 6), JT Bates (tracks: 3, 6), Jack DeJohnette (tracks: 1), Sonny Emory (tracks: 6, 8, 10)
- Dulcimer – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 7)
- Engineer – Chris Messina, David Boucher, Pat Dillett*, Wayne Pooley
- Ensemble – Members Of The Virginia Symphony Plus One (tracks: 9), YMusic (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Flute – Alex Sopp (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Guitar – Blake Mills (tracks: 4), Gibb Droll (tracks: 4, 7), Jeremy Ylvisaker (tracks: 3)
- Keyboards – Sean Carey (tracks: 3)
- Loops – Chris Messina (tracks: 3)
- Lyrics By – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 1, 2, 4, 7, 9), Chip Denatted (tracks: 5, 6, 8), Justin Vernon (tracks: 3), Robert Hunter (tracks: 10)
- Management – Kevin Monty, Marc Allan
- Mastered By – Huntley Miller
- Mixed By – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 1 to 8), David Boucher (tracks: 1, 9, 10), Justin Vernon (tracks: 1), Wayne Pooley (tracks: 1 to 9)
- Orchestra – The Orchestra Of St Hank's – Frost School/IL. Of Miami (tracks: 8, 10)
- Orchestrated By – Bruce Coughlin (tracks: 8, 10), Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 1), Howard Drossin (tracks: 1), Rob Moose (tracks: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Organ – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 10), JT Thomas* (tracks: 4, 10)
- Pedal Steel Guitar – Gibb Droll (tracks: 4)
- Percussion – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 2, 7)
- Photography By – Kathy Hornsby
- Piano – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 1 to 6, 8, 10)
- Producer – Brad Cook (tracks: 3), Justin Vernon (tracks: 3), Tony Berg (tracks: 3, 4)
- Producer [Associate] – Tony Berg
- Producer, Vocals – Bruce Hornsby
- Sampler [John Cage Prepared Piano] – Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 4, 9, 10)
- Saxophone – Michael Lewis (tracks: 3)
- Technician [Piano] – Terry Greene 
- Trumpet – CJ Camarieri (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Viola – Matt Umlauf (tracks: 9), Nadia Sirota (tracks: 5, 6, 8, 10)
- Viola, Arranged By [Violin, Viola] – Rob Moose (tracks: 4)
- Violin – Bobby Hornsby (tracks: 7), Bruce Hornsby (tracks: 2, 7), Elizabeth Vonderheide (tracks: 9), John Mailander (tracks: 5, 9), Jonathan Richards (tracks: 9), Rob Moose (tracks: 4 to 6, 8, 10)
- Vocals – Justin Vernon (tracks: 3), Sean Carey (tracks: 3)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Scanned): 644216264216
- Barcode (Printed): 6 44216 26421 6
|Zappo001||Bruce Hornsby||Absolute Zero (LP, Album, Ltd, Aut)||Zappo Productions||Zappo001||US||2019|
|ZAPPO001-1||Bruce Hornsby||Absolute Zero (LP, Album)||Zappo Productions||ZAPPO001-1||US||2019|