Virtue is the second studio album by American band the Voidz, released on March 30, 2018 through Cult and RCA. It is the band's first album after shortening their name from "Julian Casablancas + The Voidz".
The second album from Julian Casablancas and his motley New York band is sludgy, psychedelic sesh that occasionally coheres into surprising moments of clarity and radiance.
The Voidz (formerly known as Julian Casablancas+The Voidz) are an American experimental rock band formed by Julian Casablancas of The Strokes. The band's debut album earned the 50th place in NME's Top 50 Albums of 2014 list.
Virtue is the second studio album by American band The Voidz – the first under their new name, after previously being known as Julian Casablancas+The Voidz. It was released on March 30, 2018 by Cult Records, via RCA Records. The album's first single, "Leave It in My Dreams", was released on January 23, 2018, followed by its second single, "QYURRYUS", the next day. The album's artwork was designed by Argentinian-Spanish artist Felipe Pantone.
Virtue’ is an easier listen – slightly. Not so much so that The Voidz lose their eccentric inventor touch, but just enough that there are a handful of pop-leaning moments present among the boundary-pushing ones. The frontman told Billboard recently they’d made the album more people-friendly because they want to be able to afford to keep doing – but if there was even the tiniest hint of cynicism at the root of the record, it doesn’t show. Opener ‘Leave It In My Dreams’ is the brightest, most straightforward song here.
The Voidz and Julian might not be the most predictable band to pin down, but there are at least some things that we’ve come to expect from them: whatever they do will be interesting, unusual and thought-provoking.
Virtue is an instant classic bursting with diverse, new ideas that display all the creativity Julian's been trying record since First Impressions of Earth perfectly blended with the gorgeous melodies and brilliant solos that characterize his more popular work. The album cover accurately illustrates the sound they were going for here: distorted and colorful, yet dark, geometrical, yet amorphous. They manage to pull it off, given all of the different genres, and the flow of the album is great, with the exception of Think Before You Drink.
Julian Casablancas' name is gone from their moniker, and the elements of their music - distorted beats and vocals, virtuosic guitars and synths - coalesce into a style that's identifiably theirs. With the help of Tyranny producer Shawn Everett, the Voidz bring some more clarity to that style, as well as a greater sense of fun. More often than on their bewildering debut, they find ways of indulging their anything-goes aesthetic without stranding their listeners.
Virtue (The Voidz album). Virtue is the second studio album by American band The Voidz – the first under their new name, after previously being known as Julian Casablacas+The Voidz. It is intended to be released on March 30, 2018 by Cult Records, via RCA Records. The album's first single, "Leave It In My Dreams", was released on January 23, 2018, followed by its second, "Qyurryus", the following da. .
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Leave It In My Dreams||4:00|
|A3||Pyramid Of Bones||4:28|
|A4||Permanent High School||4:14|
|B6||One Of The Ones||2:38|
|B7||All Wordz Are Made Up
Written-By [Outro-Bridge Co-Written By] – Jon Pancoast
|B8||Think Before You Drink
Written-By – Jeffrey Armstrong, Michael Cassidy
|C10||My Friend The Walls||4:03|
|D14||We're Where We Were||3:46|
- Exclusive Retailer – Newbury Comics – VOIDZ87892
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – RCA Records
- Copyright (c) – RCA Records
- Record Company – Sony Music Entertainment
- Marketed By – Sony Music Entertainment
- Distributed By – Sony Music Entertainment
- Published By – BMG Gold Songs
- Published By – BMG Rights Management (US) LLC
- Published By – Michael Cassidy Publishing Designee
- Bass, Synthesizer – Jake Bercovici*
- Cover [Cover Artwork] – Felipe Pantone
- Design – Michael Molfetas, Sarah Schmitt
- Drums – Alex Carapetis
- Guitar – Amir Yaghmai, Beardo
- Keyboards – Jeff Kite
- Lacquer Cut By – WG*
- Legal – Carroll, Guido + Groffman, LLP*, Elizabeth Paw , Rosemary Carroll
- Management – Dmtri, Laurie Ma
- Management [Cult Records General Manager] – Nasa Hadizadeh
- Mastered By – Ben Baptie
- Mixed By – Andy Wallace (tracks: A1 to B8, C10 to D13, D15), Ben Baptie (tracks: C9, D14), Shawn Everett (tracks: A1 to B8, C10 to D13, D15)
- Producer – Chris Tabron (tracks: B8), Shawn Everett (tracks: A1 to B7, C9 to D15)
- Producer [Additional Assistant Production] – Ray Aldaco (tracks: A2, B5, D14)
- Producer [Additional Production] – Alana Da Fonseca (tracks: A1 to B5, B7, C9 to C11, D13, D15), Chris Tabron (tracks: B5, D13)
- Public Relations [Publicity] – Matt Hanks, Shore Fire Media
- Vocals [Mic] – Julian Casablancas
- Words By, Music By – The Voidz (tracks: A1 to B7, C9 to D15)
NotesLimited to 1000.
Includes a fold-out poster and a download code.
Tracks are numbered 1 to 15 on the rear cover. Labels have no numbering.
℗&© 2018 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. Marketed and distributed by Sony Music Entertainment, 25 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10010-8601.
Published by BMG Gold Songs (ASCAP) (All rights administered by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC) except: Think Before You Drink [...] published by Michael Cassidy Publishing Designee
Recorded in and around Los Angeles, USA
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 19075-83152-1
|19075-82769-1||The Voidz||Virtue (2xLP, Album)||RCA, Cult Records||19075-82769-1||USA & Canada||2018|
|19075-82769-2||The Voidz||Virtue (CD, Album)||RCA, Cult Records||19075-82769-2||US||2018|
|19075-82769-1||The Voidz||Virtue (2xLP, Album)||RCA||19075-82769-1||Europe||2018|
|19075827692||The Voidz||Virtue (CD, Album)||RCA, Cult Records||19075827692||Europe||2018|
|19075-83152-1||The Voidz||Virtue (2xLP, Album, Ltd, MP, Opa)||RCA, Cult Records||19075-83152-1||US||2018|