Stateless is the debut studio album by American singer Lene Lovich. It was released in October 1978 by Stiff Records. The album was first released outside the United Kingdom, then following the success of the lead single "Lucky Number". The UK version of the album was released with a slightly different track list. In the United States, the album was released in 1979.
One of Stiff Records' most stable staples, the truly alternative Lene Lovich laid much of the groundwork for an entire generation of singers left to pick up the pieces in the wasteland of the post-punk era. Her stunning debut, 1979's Stateless, was so unique, so vibrant, and her vocal stylings so unusual that the LP not only put her right at the front of the pack of nascent new wavers, it also sounded a commercial death knell of sorts, relegating her to the realms of novelty acts - at least as far as the mainstream was concerned.
Stateless (Lene Lovich album). Stateless is the debut studio album by American singer Lene Lovich.
The first issue on red vinyl Lene Lovich - Stateless, and later black vinyl with grey labels. Lene Lovich - Stateless) A US track sequence with further remixing on some tracks. Lene Lovich - Stateless).
Band Name Lene Lovich. Album Name Stateless. Labels Stiff Records. Members owning this album6. 4. Too Tender (To Touch).
Lene Lovich (/ˈleɪnə ˈlʌvɪtʃ/; born March 30, 1949) is an English-American singer, songwriter and musician. She first gained attention in 1979 with the release of her hit single "Lucky Number", which peaked at number 3 on the UK Singles Chart and made her a leading figure of the new wave music scene. Born in Detroit, Michigan, Lovich moved to England at the age of 13, where she met guitarist and songwriter Les Chappell, who later became her long-time music collaborator and life partner.
This album has an average beat per minute of 124 BPM (slowest/fastest tempos: 90/154 BPM). See its BPM profile at the bottom of the page. BPM Profile Stateless. Album starts at 154BPM, ends at 126BPM (-28), with tempos within the -BPM range. Try refreshing the page if dots are missing). Recent albums by Lene Lovich.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A4||Too Tender (To Touch)||4:05|
Written-By – J. O'Neill*
Written-By – Nick Lowe
|B2||Writing On The Wall||3:10|
Written-By – J. O'Neill*
|B5||1 In A 1,000,000||2:51|
|B6||I Think We're Alone Now
Written-By – Richie Cordell*
- Produced For – Oval
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Stiff Records
- Copyright (c) – Stiff Records
- Recorded At – Pathway Studios
- Recorded At – Wessex Sound Studios
- Recorded At – Eden Studios
- Published By – Oval Music
- Published By – Rock Music Co. Ltd.
- Published By – Campbell Connelly & Co. Ltd.
- Mastered At – Gedmal Galvanic Ltd.
- Pressed By – WEA Records Pressing Plant, West Drayton
- Bass, Percussion, Vocals – Ron Francois
- Drums [Trap], Percussion, Vocals – Bobbi Irwin*
- Engineer – Aldo Bocca, Jeremy Green, Pete Fox, Roger Bechirian
- Guitar, Synthesizer [Ems], Percussion, Vocals – Les Chappell
- Mastered By – Steve* (tracks: A1 to A5), SA* (tracks: B1 to B6)
- Mastered By [Metalwork] – E.G.*
- Organ [Hammond], Piano – Nick Plytas
- Photography By [Cover] – Keith Collie
- Photography By [Inner] – Glad Rocksoffski
- Producer – The Stateless
- Remix [Remixed By] – Roger Bechirian (tracks: A1, A5, B1 to B4)
- Synthesizer [Polyphonic, Solina] – Jeff Smith
- Vocals, Saxophone – Lene Lovich
- Written-By – L. Lovich* (tracks: A1 to A4, B2, B4, B5), L. Chappell* (tracks: A1 to A4, B2, B4, B5)
NotesOpening at top of sleeve.
Includes a printed inner sleeve with credits on one side and promoting other Stiff releases on the other.
File under Stiff
Inner sleeve:A Stateless production for Oval
Recorded at Pathway Eden and Wessex Studios
℗ & © 1978 Stiff Records except B6 ℗ 1967 © 1978 Stiff Records
Made in England
Published by Oval Music except B1 Rock Music Co Ltd and B6 Campbell Connelly & Co Ltd
B5 printed as One In A 1000000 on inner sleeve.
B6 printed as I Think Were Alone Now on inner sleeve.
Metalwork by Gedmal Galvanic Ltd.
This version pressed by WEA, West Drayton.
An almost identical version exists, Lene Lovich - Stateless - which was not pressed at WEA, West Drayton.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A label): SEEZ 7-A
- Matrix / Runout (Side B label): SEEZ 7 B-1 SA
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout (variant 1)): SEEZ 7 A4 RM E.G. STEVE SAY WHAT S-6
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout (variant 1)): SEEZ 7 B4 RM E.G. SA. S-10
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout (variant 2)): SEEZ 7 A4 RM E.G. STEVE SAY WHAT S-1
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout (variant 2)): SEEZ 7 B4 RM E.G. SA. S-3
|SEEZ 7||Lene Lovich||Stateless (LP, Album, Red)||Stiff Records||SEEZ 7||UK||1978|
|VIP-6628||Lene Lovich||Stateless (LP, Album)||Stiff Records||VIP-6628||Japan||1979|
|103-35503||Lene Lovich||Stateless (LP, Album)||Stiff Records||103-35503||Venezuela||1982|
|SEEZ 7||Lene Lovich||Stateless (LP, Album)||Stiff Records||SEEZ 7||Hong Kong||1978|
|6.23 653, 6.23653 AO, SEEZ 7||Lene Lovich||Stateless (LP, Album)||Stiff Records, Stiff Records, Stiff Records||6.23 653, 6.23653 AO, SEEZ 7||Germany||Unknown|