One is the second solo album by jazz keyboardist Bob James. It was an important album in the early smooth jazz genre and is famous for its end track, "Nautilus", which became important to hip hop as one of the most sampled tracks in American music. Released on April 17, 1974 this album charted at number two on the Jazz Album Charts. Valley of the Shadows" (James) – 9:42. In the Garden" (Johann Pachelbel) – 3:06. Soulero" (James, Richard Evans) – 3:22.
One (Bob James album). One is the first solo album by jazz musician Bob James released in 1974. It followed "Bold Conceptions (1963 on Mercury) and "Explosions (1965 on ESP-Disk). It was an important album in the early smooth jazz genre and is famous for its end track, "Nautilus", which became culturally important to hip hop as one of the most sampled tracks in American music. 5 Samples & Covers.
Bob James: Bold Conceptions.
Bob James - Nautilus. Bob James - One 38:05. Bob James Night On Bald Mountain One (1974) HQ 5:51. Bob James - Valley Of The Shadows (1974) 9:40. Bob James- Feel Like Making Love 6:27. Sold items by hatsumura.
Follow Bob James amesMusic. In the Chapel in the Moonlight.
Bob James' first recording for his Tappan Zee label is typically lightweight. Although Grover Washington, Jr. has two spots on soprano, and trumpeter Jon Faddis is in the brass section, James' dated Fender Rhodes keyboard is the lead voice throughout the six pieces, which include two adaptations of classical works. Only a lightly funky version of "Feel Like Making Love" rises above the level of pleasant background music.
|1||Valley Of The Shadows||9:42|
|2||In The Garden||3:06|
|4||Night On Bald Mountain||5:51|
|5||Feel Like Making Love||6:38|
- Alto Flute – George Marge, Romeo Penque
- Bass – Gary King
- Bass Trombone – Alan Ralph*, Jack Gale, Paul Faulise
- Cello – Alan Shulman, Anthony Sophos, Charles McCracken, George Ricci, Jesse Levy, Seymour Barab
- Drums – Idris Muhammad (tracks: 5, 6), Steve Gadd (tracks: 5, 6)
- Harmonica – Hugh McCracken (tracks: 2)
- Keyboards, Arranged By, Conductor – Bob James
- Pedal Steel Guitar – Eric Weissberg (tracks: 2)
- Percussion – Ralph MacDonald
- Producer – Creed Taylor
- Soprano Saxophone – Grover Washington, Jr. (tracks: 1, 3)
- Trombone – Wayne Andre
- Trumpet – Alan Rubin, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Victor Paz
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Jon Faddis, Thad Jones
- Vibraphone – David Friedman
- Violin – Charles Libove, David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Gene Orloff, Harold Kohon, Harry Lookofsky, Joe Malin, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman
NotesOriginally released in 1974.
Made in USA Warner Brothers
|CTI 6043||Bob James||One (LP, Album, Gat)||CTI Records||CTI 6043||US||1974|
|CLS 5709||Bob James||One (LP, Album)||CBS||CLS 5709||Mexico||1974|
|VICJ-61714||Bob James||One (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Tappan Zee Records||VICJ-61714||Japan||2015|
|CK 36835||Bob James||One (CD, Album)||Columbia, Tappan Zee Records||CK 36835||US||1992|
|FC 36835||Bob James||One (LP, Album, RE)||CBS||FC 36835||Canada||1981|